Sunday, February 19, 2012

Musical Apprenticeship

So I've been in lots of bands over the years and I have always been saddled with this nagging itch to create something new.

I took a break from the full-time music gig for a while and found myself employed as an Apprentice Electrician. I'm nearly halfway through the program and I really love it. I took this break because music became work to me. I burned out.

A couple of years ago I discovered this book.

With the help of Hugh MacLeod's tips on how to live a creative life, I decided I needed a day job, preferably one with no connection to music whatsoever. Electrician. Perfect.

True to MacLeod's observations, the Muse has come back to me and I want to be In A Band again! This band will be called frank lloyd rock.

As an electrical apprentice, I deal with architectural drawings now.  It became clear to me that there are many parallels between building a structure and writing a song. As I looked back on what I've learned about the music business it seemed natural to integrate my life as an apprentice with my new band. The idea of a Musical Apprenticeship was born.

I'm looking to start a band with a new leadership model. I want apprentices. I have a clear idea of what I'm doing musically and I want to share it with my apprentices. I used to be a music teacher. I used to be a bandleader. The apprenticeship model will be a hybrid of the two.  I'm looking for musicians who want to learn how to be in a band and all that it entails. I'll go into more detail about this later.

-Carlos

No comments:

Post a Comment